In 1983-1984 a team from the Bundaberg East Rotary Club travelled to Thornhill, Southhampton, England to number, dismantle and crate Bert Hinkler’s home and relocate it to Bundaberg.
Over many months, the two-storey home of Bundaberg’s famous aviator, complete with authentic fittings and wall-paper was erected at the Botanical Gardens. It was officially opened on 16th June, 1984 and won a major Queensland Tourism Award in 1985.
EAST ROTARY PARK
Bundaberg East Rotary’s first major Community Service Project was the establishment of East Rotary Park at Kendall’s Flat.
Begun in 1963, the Park was handed over to the Bundaberg City Council in 1966, having cost the Club $700.00.
The Sugarcane Steam Loco, “Old Germany”, was donated to the Club by the Millaquin Sugar Mill and was positioned in the East Rotary Park. “Old Germany”, built in Germany in 1914, was later given to the Bundaberg Steam Tramway Preservation Society and completely restored to be a star attraction on the Australian Sugarcane Railway in the Bundaberg Botanical Gardens.
In 1980, the biggest Community Service Project undertaken by the Bundaberg East Rotary Club was commenced.
The Project involved the construction of a large lake (later named Lake Ellen) at the eastern end of George Street at the beginning of a large teatree swamp (Baldwin Wetlands) – part of Bundaberg’s greenbelt.
With assistance from the Bundaberg City Council the lake was created and a concrete platform to launch model boats was added as well as two picnic shelters and a gas barbecue.
The Project was completed in 1984 and was officially opened and named by the Mayor of Bundaberg on 3rd June, 1984.