The Rotary Club of East Bundaberg was chartered on 25 May 1963 by the Bundaberg Rotary Club, in Rotary District 260. We are the third oldest Rotary Club in our region, as Bundaberg was chartered in 1927, and Childers in 1960.
The first meeting to discuss the possibility of a new club was held at the Metropolitan Hotel on the 18th September 1962, and was attended by 31 provisional members. Bundaberg Rotary Club President Duncan Mackay, and District Governor’s representative Fred Grose, officially announced the formation of the new East Bundaberg Rotary Club at this meeting.
A year later in 1963, 29 of those first provisional members became Charter Members of our club at a function held at the Bundaberg Civic Centre with District Governor Ted Router. Three hundred Rotarians from twenty other Service Clubs attended, and the first President of our club, Charter President Jack Smith, was presented with the Presidential Collar by Past District Governor Garnet Buss. The Collar, with each former President’s name, is still worn today by Club Presidents at official functions.
Charter Members of our Club
Charter President Jack Smith
On Saturday May 18 our club celebrated our 50th Anniversary at a dinner for former members and guests. Over 100 people enjoyed a photo montage of 50 years of projects as well as replaying the original Charter Night speech. To mark a significant year, our club won Best Club in the District, Best Club Bulletin, Best Literacy Projects, Best use of PR and President's Trophy.